I was in Austin, Texas, for two weeks and when I returned home, it was pretty much hit the ground running until today. I'll be posting more often in the upcoming days, I apologize!
Today, I wanted to list a few things I'm thankful for. Sometimes, I get wrapped up in the minor details that I forget to take a step back and look at my life as a whole.
Yesterday, I got really cranky because I spent the whole day cooking and didn't have a bite to eat. I failed to remember I was cooking for the very first Thanksgiving dinner I was hosting... at my house, with my loved ones.
- I'm thankful for having a home- one that's comfortable, beautiful, and in a neighborhood where the neighbors take their leaf blowing seriously.
- I'm thankful for sharing that home with those that I love- Chanel my cat. Oh, and Guitar Boy too.
- I'm thankful that my boyfriend can take a good joke.
- I'm thankful that my parents are around and well enough to cook their version of Thanksgiving to bring over to the house. The more food, the better!
- I'm thankful for the material things, as superficial as it sounds, because I recognize and appreciate what they've brought to my life: a car that I finally adore, my Macbook because I can write on it and learn from it, and my phone because it keeps me in touch with everyone I love.
- I'm most especially thankful that I'm alive and experiencing life and that I've finally been able to embrace it.
It's a pretty common list many people share. (Come on, admit it, you're thankful for your phone too!)
Now to the good stuff. What are you making today? On the menu at my house:
First course: Pumpkin Apple Soup
- Turkey-Less Roast with Roasted Vegetables (from Trader Joe's. First time trying it!)
- A Small Turkey. But we don't care about that. It's for my dad. ("Must have meat! Rawrg!)
Also considered entrees but we can't help ourselves:
- Dried Fruit and Pecan Rice Pilaf
- Mushroom Quiche
- Garlic-Roasted Mashed Potatoes and Parsnips
- Apple Bread Stuffing
- Roasted Mushrooms with Green Beans
- Rosemary Honey Cranberry Sauce
- Orange Cranberry Sauce (Don't ask why we have two cranberry sauces.)
Dessert: Chocolate Pumpkin Pie (Of course.)
I'm super-excited and I sincerely hope I remember to take a picture of it all before we devour it.
Have a happy, joyful, and delicious Thanksgiving!